Originally from a Happy Box mailer, edited.
Makes 4 servings
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 4 bell peppers
- 3 T onion, chopped
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 cup cooked rice, quinoa, or grain of choice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup pine nuts*
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves*
- 2 cups of Sun Sugar tomatoes, halved*
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 T Italian seasoning, or to taste
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cut a slice from a stem end of each pepper (about 1/2 inch thick).
- Prepare rice of choice.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Remove the core, white veins, and seeds.
- Fill a medium size pot with water and bring to boil.
- Boil peppers and tops for 5 minutes, then remove to cool.
- Arrange peppers in a shallow baking dish.
- In a large skillet, saute chopped onion in olive oil until golden.
- Add garlic and pine nuts and saute for another 3 minutes.
- Add in cooked rice, basil, tomatoes and seasoning to skillet to mix, then remove from heat.
- Fill peppers with rice filling.
- Pour 1/4 cup of vegetable broth into each pepper, then pour remaining broth into baking dish.
- Place pepper top slices over the filling.
- Bake uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Clean the kitchen while dish is cooking:)
*Estimated amount, add more or less to taste.
I also add any remaining mixture that didn't fit *in* the peppers, *around* them in the dish as a side--it also helped them stay standing. To not cool the mixture more than necessary, you could also just add it to your plate when the peppers were done cooking.
Happy Box originally used 8oz of fresh mushrooms, chopped, instead of pine nuts and basil--I just don't care for mushrooms:)
Did you try this recipe?
Did you make any substitutions or have any suggestions?
Let me know what you thought!